Monday, November 21, 2016

October Fun



Those of you familiar with Blogspot know that the entries are sequential and that Blogspot puts the date of each entry on the page. Therefore, the preceding entries were written before this one, and the images were taken before this one. Right? Well, half right. All the entries were written before this one, but the image shown is just one of many taken in October. I made October lunar month. The goal was to try to image all the entries of the Astronomical League's Lunar List. (see: https://www.astroleague.org/al/obsclubs/lunar/lunar1.html about ½ way down the page, under Related Links, you will find the link to the actual observing list.) Over the years, I have made images of things that I thought were interesting to look at, and as it turns out, I had images of about half to 2/3rds of the Lunar List already imaged. Part of the fun and most of the “bother” was going back over the images to see exactly what I already had. One image could contain several objects, usually craters. The list didn't necessarily group objects by geographical location, since there were better or worse times to view each object. Anyway, I found that I needed about 10 or 20 more objects to complete the list, or so I thought. So, most of my imaging time in October was spent on the moon. After rechecking the list against my new set of images, it turns out I need about another 6 objects to complete the list. Since you have stayed with me this long on this post, I should show you one of the images, and the same one marked up to show what the “target” is. Obviously, the target is the crater Schickard. Hopefully, you will enjoy....

Schickard crater

No comments:

Post a Comment