Wednesday, January 12, 2022

New Beginnings

Well, here's something I didn't expect to do: a new blog entry. Last entry was, I think, in April of 2021. Since then, MUCH has changed. We're at a new address, the old Meade LX200GPS is in semi-retirement (but soon to be reactivated), and a new telescope/mount has made it into service. The new mount is a Losmandy GM811 and the new scope is a Stellarvue SVX102T. So a 4” refractor vs. an 8” SCT. One of the main motivators for the change was the change in address; we are now in a continuing care facility. I no longer have the observatory, so I have to carry out the scope every time I want to use it. I can break the 811 into “chunks” of about 20 lbs. max to take out and set up vs. about 45 lbs. for the Meade. Hopefully, I will soon de-fork the Meade and put it on the 811. The 8” is still really good for the moon and planets. Plus, Meade is no longer, meaning that it went bankrupt and was bought by Orion Telescope. As such, the consensus is that the scopes are poorly supported now, if at all. If something breaks, there is little hope of repair. So, last night (January 11, 2022), I was finally able to get the scope out and get most things working. Since this was mostly a test run, I didn't bother to cool the camera. Nevertheless, I was able to capture an image, this time of M42, the Great Orion Nebula, as well as the Running Man Nebula, all in the same image. I didn't do much processing, since there wasn't much to do; only stacking and stretching the image. The image is 10, 1 minute images of each color band, LRGB, so 40 minutes total. I'm pleased with the first light. It's not perfect, but pretty good for a 1st attempt with the new gear.
M42 and Running Man Nebula (top right). First light image.

No comments:

Post a Comment