Monday, February 24, 2020

As Finished As I Can Get

Of the Herschel 400 list, that is. On the night of the 21st, I imaged about 12 open clusters, a planetary nebula or 2 and a galaxy. That officially completed all of the objects I can photograph. That would end up being a total of 391 objects. Why can't I get the remaining 9? The scope won't point that far north with the camera attached. Well, mostly it won't. If I try to maintain the correct spacing of the camera to the focal reducer, there is not enough room between the fork arms to let the camera swing between the fork arms. However, IF I cheat a little and push the camera a little closer to the reducer, I might be able to get a few more. NGC2655 and NGC6217 are the worst offenders at a declinations over 78 degrees. I have limited the scope to 72 degrees declination to prevent damage, so it will be a tight fit. I will need to be at the scope, with all lights on, watching the swing to be sure the camera doesn't hit anything. OR, I could buy a new scope!!! Yeah, I like that idea! New mount actually. I currently eyeing a Losmandy G11G or G811G. I guess we'll just have to see what the futue holds.
I usually put an image in with my posts, and, since galaxies are usually more photogenic, I'll include NGC2613. Not really the greatest galaxy, but certainly good enough. I hope you enjoy.

NGC2613

No comments:

Post a Comment