Friday, February 28, 2020

As Finished As I Can Get … Take 2

Well, somewhat against my better judgment, which isn't saying much, I found a way to get all but one of what turned out to be the remaining seven Herschel objects. Among other things, I found out that one abject that I thought I didn't have, I actually did as a Messier object; M110 in fact. So, my missing 8 turned to 7 with that finding. The method I used to get the remaining 6 (of 7) objects was to shove the focuser further up on the focal reducer. Basically, the problem is that the camera just doesn't quite fit between the back of the optical tube and the top of the base. It would be similar to having a swing set and the swing hitting the ground when you try to swing. I gained enough room to get closer to the north celestial pole, and doing so meant that the camera was within about 1/32 of an inch of hitting the base. But, it didn't. Now I have only NGC6217 left to image to complete the Herschel 400 list. Unfortunately, although it's circumpolar, it's below the tree line. My next goal is to find out when I might have a chance of success. For now, that's a job for another day. I'll leave you with one of the 6 I got last night, NGC40, which is a nebula with strong Ha emission, apparently, since it shows up so strongly in the red.


NGC 40, The Bow Tie Nebula (if it were green, I would call it the Green Lantern Nebula)



No comments:

Post a Comment