Saturday, January 30, 2021

Something Found

 One of the web sites I often check is call SpaceWeather.com. In their January 29th entry, they had a picture of a “concentric crater”, something I had never heard of before. A (very) little looking around the internet reveled a list of about 60 possible such craters, as well as the current theory of their formation, and it's not what you would first think. Apparently, the initial crater forms the initial bowl shape, then the inner ring is formed from underneath the bottom of the crater from magma pushing up on it creating the inner ring. Or, something like that. At least it isn't from a second, very well aimed meteor! Moving on. I decided to see if I might have accidentally imaged a concentric crater and, lo and behold, I did! It turns out to be in the same area of the moon as the one shown in the Spaceweather article. Very close, actually. So, I'll start with the larger view, thanks to Virtual Moon Atlas, and work our way down to the concentric crater, whose name is HESIODUS A.

Full moon


Area of moon where I found Concentric Crater (as did Spaceweather)

My image of same area above taken in 2016

Showing Pitatus Crater for reference to full moon image.

Hesiodus A, the concentric crater, enlarged from above image.


No comments:

Post a Comment