Wednesday, May 27, 2020

A First

I have been trying to image M61 as often as possible since I found out there was a supernova in it. The reason: I want to see if I can follow it (the supernova) long enough to see the fading on the supernova. In and of itself, this would be a first. However, the first I'm actually referring to in this case is the use of the program ASTAP. This program plate solves the image, meaning it finds where in space you had the telescope pointed and what you have imaged. In this case, I'm using it to positively identify M61, but more importantly, I'm using it's photometry function to determine the brightness of the supernova. Brightness is measured in magnitudes in astronomy. I have had only 2 “clear” nights to image M61, so I have only 2 data points. The first image is below (May 12th entry, image taken on the 1th), where I show the supernova. The supernova on that May 11th image measured magnitude 14.5, approximately. As of May 23, it was “down” to magnitude 14.7, approximately. In stellar magnitudes, the larger the number, the dimmer the object, in this case an exploded star. Two tenths of a magnitude doesn't really show in an image, especially one that has been downsampled for the internet, so, I won't show the most recent image. At least I don't think I will now. If I get very few images (and since we're getting rain or clouds a week at a time, that might be what happens), I might come back to show this one. Let's see what the weather does.

No comments:

Post a Comment