Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Catching Up Part One

Over the past several days and nights, I have been taking pictures of the sun or moon. Mostly the sun, since the moon is relatively high and bright, and seeing has been terrible, especially at night, so not encouraging. After the, limited, success of catching the flare, I've tried to keep imaging the sun for long periods of time, at least an hour or so, to see if I can record any changes. It's interesting to see that even over the course of an hour, I can often see changes, although some of the changes are really very, very small. Perhaps at some point in the future I will get a better camera to record more detail, but for now, I use what I have and do the best I can. When I record the sun for, say, 90 minutes, I end up with at least 90 .avi files of at least 100 frame each, or about 9000 images to process. That takes a while to do. So, with that in mind, here is an image from May 1st, 2020. The prominences didn't move much, so I'll show half the sun, which has 2 prominences, and then the lower one closer up. The upper one reminds me of a Christmas tree.

2 Prominences

Lower one, much enlarged

No comments:

Post a Comment